- Permanent role
- In House
- In House
- Contract Type:
- Permanent role
- Reference Number:
Pets at Home Group Plc has taken the UK pet industry by storm. Established in 1991 it has grown to 440 stores with a turnover exceeding ?830m. It has won numerous awards for its entrepreneurial achievements and is recognised as one of the Best Big Companies to work for by the Sunday Times and as no. 7 'Best Large Workplace' in Great Places to Work UK.
Following the success of Companion Care, its group of in-store veterinary practices, Pets at Home acquired Vets4Pets in 2013. Pets at Home has integrated Vets4Pets with Companion Care and worked to expand the Pets at Home Vet Group which is owned by veterinary surgeons under a joint venture model. There are now over 430 in-store and standalone surgeries and the business is on course to grow the estate by 50 new practices in financial year 2018. To date, the Group has acquired 4 specialist veterinary referral centres.
Working as part of an 8 strong legal team you will report in to the Head of Legal for the Pets at Home Vets Group and be responsible for providing quality legal advice to the business on contractual agreements for goods and services inclusive of distribution, agency, franchising and IT agreements. Aside from this, the successful lawyer will be required to assist with compliance, provide ad-hoc advice to the group on a variety of legal matters and liaise with external lawyers in order to add real value to the business.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts for goods and services, including distribution, agency, consultancy, franchising, supply, purchase, manufacturing, sponsorship, confidentiality, export, procurement and IT agreements and IP agreements including licences and assignments.
- Advising on M&A, JV and shared equity transactions with associated drafting and company secretary requirements within the Pets at Home Vet Group.
- Advising and supporting on the Pets at Home Vet Group banking and financing arrangements
- Assisting the business and joint venture partners in interpreting and complying with commercial legal agreements and legal requirements.
- Providing advice and assistance to the business in areas such as data protection, product liability, competition law, marketing, advertising and promotions, data protection, e-commerce, intellectual property enforcement, employment and ad hoc consumer and business queries.
- Effectively managing the resolution of contract terminations and commercial disputes and customer complaints.
- Maintaining business awareness of legal requirements and developments, providing regular business updates and internal training in key areas including consumer law, competition, data protection, IP and other areas where appropriate.
- Assisting with company formations and the initial setup and subsequent sale of the first opinion practices that are key to the Vets4Pets and Companion Care business models.
To succeed you will be a bright and engaging individual with between 1-4 years' post-qualification experience from either a leading private practice law firm or similar in-house environment. A background in corporate or commercial law would be ideal for this role. An enthusiasm to learn about our business and have the commercial foresight to see the bigger commercial picture is vital. This is an outstanding opportunity for a lawyer to develop their career in a leading company and legal team.
If you're interested in this role, please apply now or forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us.
If this job isn't quite right, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
For a full list of jobs you can also visit the BCL job search page.
BCL Legal is an equal opportunities employer.