- Permanent role
- In House
- In House
- Contract Type:
- Permanent role
- Reference Number:
Pets at Home Group Plc is the UK’s leading specialist pet omnichannel retailer and services provider which includes pet food, pet accessories, veterinary and grooming services. Established in 1991, it has grown to 442 stores with a turnover exceeding £832m and has won numerous awards for its entrepreneurial achievements and it is recognised as one of the Best Big Companies to work for by the Sunday Times and as no. 7 ‘Best Large Workplace’ in Great Places to Work UK. The Pets at Home Vets Group has over 438 in-store and standalone veterinary surgeries and the business is on course to grow significantly.
You will report to the Chief Financial Officer of the Pets at Home Vet Group and the Legal Director and Deputy Company Secretary of the Pets at Home Group Plc and will be responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of the Group’s strategic approach to all legal aspects of the Vet Division.
- Taking a leading day-to-day role in respect of all legal matters relating to the Vet Division to enable the performance and completion of the Vet Group strategy together with the on-going operation of the Vet business including:
- Advising on M&A, JV and shared equity transactions with associated drafting and company secretarial requirements within the Pets at Home Vet Group.
- Advising and supporting on the Pets at Home Vet Group banking and financing arrangements.
Assisting the business and joint venture partners in interpreting and complying with commercial legal agreements and legal requirements.
- Responsibility for drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts for goods and services, including distribution, agency, consultancy, franchising, supply, purchase, manufacturing, sponsorship, confidentiality, export, procurement and IT agreements and IP agreements including licences and assignments.
- Effectively managing the resolution of contract terminations and employment and commercial disputes and customer complaints.
- Attending or arranging for legal team representation at Board meetings for each of the divisions and the JVCos and acting as Company Secretary where necessary.
- Leading the Group’s compliance programme in relation to veterinary regulations as well as general retail and services regulations including, in particular, regulations imposed by the Veterinary Medicines Directorate and the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations, the Consumer Rights Act and any other retail and consumer legislation together with any regulatory requirements needed to operate a veterinary services business.
- Working closely with the relevant business functions, ensuring that senior management and other key stakeholders are appropriately involved and/or informed of progress and developments; develop and implement appropriate policies and training programmes to ensure the business operates in compliance with all applicable regulations. Attendance at regional meetings to deliver such implementation may be required.
- Working closely with the wider Group compliance initiatives through the Group Legal Director and Deputy Company Secretary (e.g. data protection, anti-bribery) to ensure a consistent and compliant approach across the Vet Group Division.
- Supporting and managing the Vet Group’s junior in-house lawyers, and efficiently and cost effectively managing the Vet Group’s relationships with relevant external lawyers, in relation.
- Managing other projects and assignments as determined from time to time by the Legal Director and Deputy Company Secretary.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic and growing business where you will be able to make a real impact on the growth and expansion of the business and manage a small team.
We are keen to hear from a lawyer with either senior experience in a leading firm or from an in-house role in a Plc or private equity backed company.
The ideal candidate will be at least 7 years PQE and have a strong corporate law background with experience of private equity and M&A transactions. To be successful in this role you must be able to step into a Head of Legal position with management responsibility working closely with other Heads of and Operating Directors of the Vet Group. You should also enjoy operating in a fast-paced and evolving working environment, be willing to undertake a genuinely hands-on approach to legal work, and be very commercially minded.
If you're interested in this role, please apply now or forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us.
If this job isn't quite right, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
For a full list of jobs you can also visit the BCL job search page.
BCL Legal is an equal opportunities employer.