News, opinion, interviews and business insights from legal industry leadersSubscribe
Do I SEE them for who they are?
• What do I know about my team members as people? i.e: What do they do for fun? What is their significant other’s name?
• Do I know about their additional talents and skills (those not necessarily used in their core job) that we could tap into for special projects or events?
• Do I help them leverage and develop their strengths?
Do I TRUST them?
• Do I rely on them to make decisions in their areas of expertise?
• Am I able to be vulnerable with them?
Am I SUPPORTING them?
• How do I advocate for them and their careers?
• Who needs more support?
• Have I ensured they have the adequate tools and resources to be effective?
Am I CONNECTING with them?
• Does my team truly understand what we’re trying to accomplish and why?
• Do we have times that we talk about things other than work?
• Do we enjoy being around one another?
Am I HEARING what they are telling me?
• How could I make it easier for them to give me feedback?
• When someone gives me bad news how do I respond?
• Do I ask for their opinions?
Am I INCLUDING them?
• Do I involve them in decisions?
• Am I willing to share sensitive information?
• Do I give them opportunities to present to my boss?
Are we SUCCEEDING?
• Do we take time to understand our successes as well as our failures?
• How do I help my team become more resilient to setbacks?
• What could we start doing today that would have the biggest impact on our results?
Am I RECOGNISING their contributions?
• Do I provide a good mix of positive and constructive feedback?
• Do I say “thank you” enough?
• Do I know how each of my team members likes to be recognised?
Are we HAVING FUN?
• Do we find time to enjoy our work and one another?
• Do I create an environment that fosters creativity and fun?
Am I REAL with them?
• Do I share my thoughts and feelings with candor?
• Do I explain the reasons behind controversial decisions?