Changing jobs its not a decision to be taken lightly. Its usually something that takes a considerable amount of thought; some self reflection and a reasonable amount of time before we decide to pursue this path. Lets face facts we spend a lot of our time at work and for those in the legal profession this is likely to be more than most.
When it comes to this subject we would advise you to never make a rash decision. If the reason that youve decided to get in touch with us is that youve had a bad day (or even a bad week) at work, its probably not the right time to be seriously considering a move. As recruitment consultants we take great pride in knowing that were finding you a role thats a better fit than your current one for whatever reason this may be, however we cant do this unless youve really thought about exactly what your motivations are for wanting to move on.
If your move is purely financially motivated its best to re-think things before getting in touch with us. In this market 90% of the people we work with get counter offered from their current firm on announcing their intentions to leave. If youre looking for a well deserved pay rise then its best to have an open an honest chat with your line manager before contacting a recruitment agency. It saves you going through a lengthy process with us only to achieve the same outcome. Not to mention this professional approach also ensures that no bridges are burned with prospective future employers along the way.
However, if youre looking to move on for any of the following reasons we can certainly help:
- Youre not challenged in your current role again have a chat with your line manager about how you feel, however if there is no solution then perhaps a move is the right option for you.
- Feeling undervalued and overworked this is incredibly demotivating and can take its toll in many respects over time. Your health shouldnt suffer due to your job. If youve been feeling like this for a while then its time to explore your options.
- Your firms culture if what once inspired you no longer fits with your set of values and it doesnt serve to drive your performance, then its time look for other opportunities.
- Limited progression maybe your current team is too top heavy and theres no room to move up the ranks due to this. If you see no way of progressing with your current firm, then we can talk you through options that will allow you to take a step up and get on the partnership track.
- Location location location our daily commute, it makes a big difference to how we feel about our working day. Maybe youve grown tired of that 50 minute drive in nightmarish traffic each way every day. If youre looking for options closer to home then we can help you find you something thats closer to you doorstep.
- Work-life balance - maybe youre looking for some flexibility with your working pattern or looking to work 4 days a week and your firm simply isnt able to accommodate your request. If so we can explore the market and have a chat to firms that we know are able to offer this to you.
Making career decisions is never easy, however rest assured the dedicated team at BCL Legal is here to assist. If you feel like youve identified with one of the above points and youve been feeling this way for a while please do get in touch. We look forward to hearing from you and finding you a new opportunity that puts a spring back in your step!