- Permanent role
- In House
- In House
- Contract Type:
- Permanent role
- Reference Number:
BAE Systems Maritime - Submarines: Senior Legal Counsel
Barrow in Furness, Cumbria (Flexible work conditions on offer)
BAE Systems is a global defence, security and aerospace group that delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. A FTSE 100 company we employ approximately 80,000 staff worldwide and achieved revenues of £17.8 billion in 2016.
BAE Systems Maritime - Submarines:
Submarines is responsible for the design, development and construction of world class submarines for the UK’s Royal Navy. The business currently employs over 8,000 people at its principal location in Cumbria and at a number of smaller locations in the South of England. BAE Systems Maritime - Submarines is currently delivering the Royal Navy’s seven Astute class nuclear submarines.
Upcoming, again to be built in Cumbria, is the Dreadnaught Deterrent Programme - the replacement programme for the UK’s four Vanguard class Trident ballistic-missile armed submarines.
The advice and support the Legal team are able to offer is a key enabler and risk mitigator for much of the activity that surrounds all of the above activity.
The Submarines legal team, which currently consists of 6 lawyers (GC, 2 Senior Legal Counsel, 2 Legal Counsel and a Trainee), is assisted by other BAE Systems lawyers based elsewhere in the UK.
Given the size of projects as detailed above this is a diverse role and one that can to some degree be developed taking into account your experience. However the main responsibilities are likely to include:
• Providing in-depth, professional and proactive legal support and advice to all functions within the Submarines business.
• Drafting, negotiating, agreeing and managing a wide range of contractual arrangements with customers, suppliers and industry partners.
• Advising the business on commercial contracts generally, including contracts with suppliers for equipment and services, outsourcing contracts and contracts with the MoD.
• Ensuring that the Submarines business is compliant with applicable legal and business requirements including health & safety, the environment, export control regulations, employment laws and ethical business conduct.
• Assisting in the identification and development of legal solutions to assist in the execution of business plans.
• Participating, from an early stage, in disputes and to assist in developing appropriate strategies for their effective resolution.
• Managing and ensuring the efficient use of external counsel.
• Providing training on matters of law, know-how and policy.
• Working closely with colleagues in other specialities and functions including Finance, Tax, Supply Chain and Commercial.
• Keeping abreast of legal and business developments relevant to the Submarines business.
• Reporting, liaising and integrating with other businesses and functions within BAE Systems.
• Understanding the commercial, political and economic issues affecting the Submarines business.
• Offering meaningful contributions to, and interventions in, internal and external negotiations on significant projects.
Ideally you will be a solicitor / senior legal counsel of circa 10 years’ PQE with a broad commercial skill set and experience of assisting in complex, high value commercial contracts. We have found in the past Corporate or Projects/ PFI lawyers have made the move effectively. Whatever your background you should have experience in drafting and negotiation. In addition you will need to have the confidence and gravitas to work in a fast moving, complex business.
This is an opportunity to work as part of a small but integral legal team on one of the largest industrial programmes in Europe - experience that will set your career up for life. If you enjoy the outdoors, being based close to The Lake District has immeasurable benefits. Most of the team work Monday to Thursday in Barrow, working from home (elsewhere in the UK) on a Friday.
This has proved to be a winning formula in the past. Might it work for you?
This assignment is being handled exclusively by BCL Legal. All direct and third party applications will be forwarded to BCL Legal.
If you're interested in this role, please apply now or forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us.
If this job isn't quite right, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
For a full list of jobs you can also visit the BCL job search page.
BCL Legal is an equal opportunities employer.