- Job Search
- New Balance- European Legal Counsel
16th November 2020
New Balance is one of the largest and most recognisable sports brands in the world with global reach and partnerships across the world's most popular sports. A unique opportunity has arisen to join the business as their European Legal Counsel reporting into the US based General Counsel. Working alongside global legal specialists (also US based), you will be the European regional lead, acting as a first point of contact for all legal matters relating to New Balance's European wholesale and direct-to-consumer business, and taking day to day responsibility for operational legal work across the region. The role will be based in Warrington, Cheshire.
· Provision of day to day legal support across the European based business functions including but not limited to: Retail; Ecom; IT; Operations; Finance/Corporate; Marketing; HR; and Customer Services.
· Drafting and providing legal/commercial assistance in relation to a broad range of commercial and operational agreements and where necessary the management and oversight of external counsel.
· Working closely with the General Counsel to ensure global demands are aligned with regional needs.
· Advising the European Senior Leadership Team (SLT), providing legal insight and expertise and acting as a liaison between the Global Legal team and the European SLT.
· Liaise with Global Privacy teams, providing regional insight and oversight of regional compliance with privacy laws.
· Oversight of the European external legal spend, driving efficiencies through the management and appointment of specialist firms.
· Provide/co-ordinate training where necessary to the EMEA business teams on compliance, anti-bribery, data protection, consumer rights etc.
· Management of the European brand protection program and co-ordination with the Snr. Counsel IP of global brand protection initiatives.
· Participation in cross industry groups (FESI, WFSGI, etc.) where relevant for the wider promotion of New Balance's interests within industry or governmental groups.
· Solicitor with at least five years' post qualification experience (ideally between 5 and 7 years PQE), in-house experience isn't essential but would be useful.
· Experience within e-commerce or retail would again be desirable but isn't essential to be successful in the role.
· Strong academic background.
· Strong knowledge of data protection, electronic marketing and commercial law, working knowledge of competition law.
· Ability to manage a varied workload across multiple areas of the law.
· Excellent relationship management, communication and negotiating skills.
· Excellent planning and organisational skills.
· Proactive self-starter with ability to work independently and in a team.
· Proven ability to delicately solve and communicate sensitive matters.
I am asked frequently for opportunities which combine great quality international work and a brand you can be really passionate about. In the North West these opportunities don't come up very often! Alongside the subject matter of the work this is also a business with ambitious growth plans and a fantastic culture.
· Bonus scheme
· Pension 6.5% employer/3% employee
· Private medical cover
· Private dental cover
· 4 x salary life assurance
· Holidays - 25, rising to 30 with service
· Generous staff discount
Placing People in Companies Like
We’re a Sunday Times Best Small Company to Work For: 2016, 2017, 2018