- Job Search
- Risk & Compliance Lawyer
In-House Risk & Compliance Lawyer (3+ PQE) - national law firm - Birmingham or remote based!
This is a unique opportunity to join the in-house Risk & Compliance team of a leading national law firm and work on identifying and managing the firm's regulatory compliance and professional risks with a focus on evaluating the firm's compliance with the SRA Handbook, other relevant rules and legislation. This role can be Birmingham or home based!
As a Risk & Compliance Lawyer in this team, you would:
* Serve as a confidential point of contact for all staff to seek clarification on issues of compliance.
* Work with the Head of Risk & Compliance to manage the firm's risk and incident registers and assist in specific investigations as appropriate.
* Identify and analyse risks and assess if the firm's internal compliance controls and policies are operating effectively and recommending ways to strengthen that internal risk structure.
* Provide support, education and training to build risk awareness within the firm.
* Prepare regular reports of all trends and issues and coordinating the file review process and key dates process.
* Support in reviewing the compliance policies and procedures and with the management of the firm's quality accreditations (Lexcel, ISO27001 and CQS), as well as developing and supporting an effective compliance communication program including promoting the use of the Risk & Compliance Microsite and raising awareness of emerging compliance issues and related policies and procedures.
* Undertake audits particularly to support ISO27001 accreditation.
* Monitor and consider the impact of regulatory and legislative changes to identify gaps in the firm's compliance knowledge and address those gaps.
* Provide input into business and strategic decisions from a compliance perspective, including providing support for tender applications.
* Be proactive in providing risk and compliance support to internal projects, such as the development of new IT systems, to ensure that regulatory responsibilities are met.
* Be prepared to travel to offices (nationally) on an occasional basis.
To be successful in your application for this Risk & Compliance Lawyer position, you will have:
* A Solicitor or equivalent legal qualification.
* A minimum of three years' post qualification experience in managing risk and compliance within a legal environment.
* Detailed knowledge and experience of the SRA and the regulatory framework and associated rules and legislation.
* Proven ability to build confidence, respect and credibility with colleagues and to maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
* Strong analytical skills with a pragmatic "problem-solving" approach.
* Strong influencing skills.
* The confidence to take responsibility and work independently while keeping others informed of progress and escalating issues where appropriate.
What's on offer?
The successful Risk & Compliance Lawyer will be rewarded with:
* Competitive salary and benefits package including bonus.
* A supportive team and firm environment.
* Flexible and agile working including the option to carry out this role remotely.
* A variety of social events throughout the year (Covid restrictions permitting).
* Virtual HIIT and Yoga classes
For more information on this vacancy, please contact Angharad Warren at BCL Legal.
BCL Legal is an equal opportunities employer.
Placing People in Companies Like
We’re a Sunday Times Best Small Company to Work For: 2016, 2017, 2018