BAE Systems - Submarines: Legal Counsel
Barrow in Furness, Cumbria
BAE Systems plc is a global defence, security and aerospace group that delivers a full range of products and services for air, land and naval forces, as well as advanced electronics, intelligence, security, information technology solutions and customer support services. A FTSE 100 company, it employs approximately 80,000 staff worldwide and achieved revenues of £18.3 billion in 2017.
BAE Systems - Submarines:
BAE Systems - Submarines designs and builds world class submarines for the Royal Navy. The business currently employs over 9,000 people (and growing) at its main site in Cumbria and at a number of smaller locations across the country.
This is an exciting time at Submarines. It is currently delivering the final phase of the Royal Navy’s seven boat Astute class hunter killer submarine programme and has commenced manufacturing activities on the four boat Dreadnought nuclear deterrent programme.
The Barrow site is also part way through a significant billion pound upgrade to ensure that it has the cutting edge facilities and resources needed to deliver its current and future programmes.
The legal team provides business critical advice and support to the above activity and more.
The Submarines legal team, which currently consists of 6 lawyers (Chief Counsel, Senior Counsel, Legal Counsel), is assisted by other BAE Systems lawyers at group level when required, but operates primarily as a standalone team.
This is a diverse role which can allow specialisms to be developed based on interest and experience
Main duties and responsibilities:
• Providing in-depth, professional and proactive legal support and advice to all functions within the Submarines business.
• Drafting and negotiating a wide range of contractual arrangements with customers, suppliers and other third parties.
• Ensuring that the Submarines business is compliant with applicable legal and business requirements including health & safety, the environment, single source procurement, export control legislation, employment laws and ethical business conduct.
• Participating, from an early stage, in disputes and assisting in developing appropriate strategies for their effective resolution.
• Managing external counsel and ensuring that value for money is achieved.
• Providing training on matters of law, know-how and policy.
• Working closely with colleagues in other specialities and functions including Finance, Tax, Supply Chain and Commercial.
• Keeping abreast of legal and business developments relevant to the Submarines business.
• Reporting, liaising and integrating with other businesses and functions within BAE Systems.
• Understanding the commercial, political and economic issues affecting the Submarines business.
• Offering meaningful contributions to, and interventions in, internal and external negotiations on significant projects.
Ideally the Legal Counsel will be an in house or private practice solicitor of c 1 - 5 years’ PQE with a developing commercial skill set, experience in drafting and negotiation and preferably some experience of assisting in complex, high value commercial contracts. BAE Systems - Submarines is a unique and diverse business environment and you are not expected to be an expert advisor to the business overnight. The legal team is well respected, approachable and collegiate. You will receive support from your colleagues as you learn the business and develop your own workload and internal clients.
This is a chance to work as part of a small but integral legal team on some of the largest industrial programmes in Europe and offers excellent career development opportunities.
Barrow in Furness:
Barrow in Furness is on the edge of the Lake District and provides an excellent quality of life. For candidates travelling from further afield, the ability to work from home on a Friday will be considered.
If you're interested in this role, please apply now or forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us. If this job isn't quite right, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
For a full list of jobs you can also visit the BCL job search page.
BCL Legal is an equal opportunities employer.