Huntsman Corporation is a global speciality chemicals company with revenues of approximately $6 billion, more than 70 manufacturing, R&D and operations facilities in approximately 30 countries, and over 9,000 staff. The company's chemical products number in the thousands and are sold worldwide to manufacturers serving a broad and diverse range of consumer and industrial end markets.
The key offices in Europe are Everberg (Belgium) and Basel (Switzerland), and in the UK the company has a large manufacturing facility and office in Stockton-On-Tees.
Commercial Counsel EMEA
Huntsman are looking to recruit a qualified Commercial Solicitor to join the European legal team based from a home office location in the UK. With other UK lawyers living in North West England near Manchester, there is a preference that the Commercial Counsel EMEA live close-by in a similar geographic location.
As part of the dedicated UK Legal team the Commercial Counsel EMEA will experience a broad and varied position with a high level of autonomy and responsibility to provide sound legal advice across a complex matrix organisation influencing from shop floor to Vice President level. The position would suit a Commercial Solicitor either from private practice or currently working in-house and looking to work in a global company focused on growing both organically and through ongoing M&A.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Provide legal advice and support to our business divisions (Polyurethanes, Advanced Materials, Performance Products and Textile Effects) and Corporate Function Groups
- Advise on a broad range of legal matters, including contracts, transactions, regulations, claims and litigation
- Lead negotiations across broad range of commercial contracts, drawing on the expertise of peers in the regional legal team as required
- Draft and review a range of legal documents (e.g. general terms and conditions, quality requirements, training materials and compliance instructions) relating to both procurement and supply
- Provide training to associates on relevant legal topics and procedures such as competition law, dawn-raid procedures and use of contract management databases
- Provide legal advice and support to manufacturing sites across Europe in a complex multi divisional and cross functional organization
- Supervise litigations and other matters handled in coordination with outside counsel
- Ensure and promote, together with Huntsman management, that all activities are in line with Environment, Health and Safety principles, International Trade Compliance and Huntsman's ethical standards
- Support the legal department in ongoing continuous improvement initiatives and standardization of working practices across the region
It is anticipated that the Commercial Counsel EMEA will possess:
- A minimum of 3 years' PQE as a UK qualified commercial lawyer/solicitor;
- Previous experience in an in-house commercial counsel role or in a major law firm;
- Strong knowledge in commercial law in areas such as sales, distribution, purchasing and service contracts, competition law, torts and corporate law within a product related industry;
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills with the ability to work autonomously and lead key negotiations as necessary;
- Proactive and solution oriented with the ability to identify opportunities for improvements within legal practices;
- A willingness to travel to offices in the UK, Belgium & Switzerland.
BCL Legal is an equal opportunities recruiter.
Any third party applications will be sent to BCL Legal for consideration.