Professional Indemnity Paralegal - Bristol
A leading international firm seeks a Paralegal to join their award-winning Professional Indemnity team in Bristol. This role presents an excellent opportunity for an ambitious individual to join a dynamic, progressive and highly specialised team.
A Top 25 UK Firm that pride themselves on their supportive, approachable culture. People are trusted, appreciated as individuals and embraced as part of a team. Their vision is to be leading business advisers, recognised for their insight and their outstanding commitment to clients, and for being the place where talented people want to work. There are regular in person and remote social events organised for colleagues at the Firm, not to mention the opportunity to get involved in a range of Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) activities, including volunteering or joining their inclusion and diversity or business network groups.
The team is ranked in Tier 1 in both the Legal 500 and Chambers directories, with a number of leading individuals named. It is the longest established professional negligence team in Bristol, acting on high value and sensitive claims for clients throughout the UK including solicitors, surveyors, accountants, brokers, engineers, architects and their insurers. The team are particularly experienced in the deployment of alternative dispute resolution techniques, including mediation and arbitration.
* The successful candidate will manage professional indemnity cases in a timely and professional manner and provide high-quality service to clients at all times. Claims Handlers will typically work on cases up to a value of £250k and/or more straightforward cases without complex coverage issues (e.g. surveyor and estate agent claims).
* Manage a varied professional indemnity caseload under supervision. This will include developing knowledge of legal issues in respect of a variety of professions as well as building an understanding of each profession's own rules, procedures and regulatory framework
* Conduct review of new cases, completing case checklist to identify coverage issues
* Assess liability and quantum and establish strategy for the case
* Draft correspondence to brokers/insureds requesting additional information as required
* Resolve claims through negotiation of settlement, rebuttal of claim and/or declining of cover
* Review panel reports and obtain instructions when appropriate
* Maintain ongoing contact with the client throughout the process to report on progress and take further instructions
* Play a key role in developing and maintaining client relationships
* Ensure that the client's brand and methodology are promoted effectively in all dealings with third parties
* Instruct experts and external counsel where appropriate
* Ensure that case management system and hard copy files are updated with diary dates as required by the case
* Assume responsibility for quality control and client protocol compliance on own caseload, including accuracy and timeliness of record keeping, file management and management reporting and information
* Ensure the Firm's brand and standards are maintained in managing the outputs of other panel firms
* Handle confidential information in line with the firms data security protocols.
* Graduate calibre with an excellent academic record and/or previous experience of working as a claims paralegal or similar within the field of professional indemnity is desirable
* IT literate with working knowledge of Word and Excel
* Knowledge/previous experience of case management systems would be an advantage but training will be provided
* Client focused with an ability to build strong relationships with client and third party contacts at all levels
* You will be able to work to deadlines, prioritise own workload effectively under pressure and manage conflicting priorities
* Proactive and energetic with a tenacious approach to identifying issues and solving problems
* Quality and customer service oriented with a concern for accuracy and an eye for detail
* Team oriented with a collegiate approach to sharing knowledge and working with colleagues across locations is essential
* Able to progress tasks using own initiative, seeking guidance and input from others where appropriate
* Committed and enthusiastic with a mature attitude to work and a desire to commit long term to a career in this field
* Confident oral and written communication skills
- Salary c. £25-30k depending on experience
- Hybrid/flexible working
BCL Legal is an equal opportunities employer.