In-house sole legal counsel
Up to £90k + package
An entrepreneurial, international and fast growing business is looking for a legal counsel to head up their UK legal function. The business is protecting the homes of the future with a focus on smart homes and smart security, they monitor new trends and new technology to stay relevant in a competitive market.
This sole legal counsel will become part of an international legal function with over 30 lawyers. The UK based lawyer is expected to sit on the management team of the UK business and then grow a legal team when the business grows. This position will work closely with Sales, Marketing, Finance, Operations and Human Resources functions as well as report into the UK Managing Director.
You will need to be ambitious, entrepreneurial and good enough to build credibility within the business and with the MD.
The In-house sole legal counsel role
The role will be an important cornerstone of the UK business going forward, in particular it will look like:
- Commercial contracting: customers and suppliers, alliances/partnerships, franchisees and sales partners, digital customer contracting
- Fair competition and consumer protection: marketing materials reviews, competitors' marketing claims monitoring, pricing.
- Data privacy: programme implementation support, process design and contract terms for customer data management
- Other legal compliance areas: ensure that business initiatives and actions are taken in full compliance with competition, anti-bribery and other legal compliance laws.
- Intellectual property: defend and develop the trademark and brand, protect critical business know-how
- Regulatory and government affairs: support relationship management with relevant regulatory bodies and contribute to future evolution of industry regulation
- M&A: support in-country acquisition and other structural or financial projects.
- Employment law: support HR on employment law questions
- Compliance: support implementation of Group compliance program, drive integrity culture, deliver training and advice to help teams drive growth with integrity.
- Manage and optimise legal spend (internal vs external resources)
- Prior relevant experience working in-house will be an asset
- At least 3 years' PQE
- Proven ability to advise on complex legal matters in simple and concise terms
- Well-developed legal drafting skills
- Team player - with the ability to influence and work collaboratively across areas of business expertise
- High EQ, high level of judgment and discretion
- Strong fit with the Company DNA
A good basic salary of up to £90k (depending on skills and experience), a bonus of 10%, a key role on the UK management team, pension + other benefits.
If you're interested in this In-house sole legal counsel role, please apply now or forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us.
If this job isn't quite right, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
For a full list of jobs you can also visit the BCL job search page.
BCL Legal is an equal opportunities employer.