5th September 2023
CONTRACTS LAWYER - NEWCASTLE
- Magic circle law firm with brand new offices in the heart of Newcastle City Centre
- Bustling Newcastle office with strong links to the firms London office, working closely in collaboration across a range of legal disciplines
- The Contracts Lawyer sits within the Client Terms Team, based out of Newcastle
- The team forms part of the wider firms General Counsel function, providing crucial in-house legal support to the firm's offices globally
- You will be responsible for reviewing, negotiating and concluding contracts which the firm is entering into with clients, ensuring that contracts concluded with suppliers and clients fall within the firm's risk policy and aligns with firm standards, practices and values
- You will report directly into the Senior Contracts Lawyer (in Newcastle), and you will work closely with the firm's Director of Business Intake, the Chief Risk & Compliance Officer, the Global Commercial Director and the Procurement Director as well as the firm's partners and Client and Market Development ("CMD") professionals
- You will have exposure to some of the most skills lawyers in their field, working with them, and learning from them on a daily basis
Your role will entail:
- Reviewing Framework Agreements, Outside Counsel Agreements, Policies and Codes, engagement letters, amendments to the firm's standard Terms of Business and similar documents received from clients ("Client Terms") to identify provisions which will require amendment/negotiation.
- Liaising with others within the firm on specialist topics (such as IT security, data privacy, conflicts).
- Coordinating with the Global Commercial Director where pricing is also under discussion with the relevant client.
- Incorporating provisions which the firm will want added to Client Terms.
- Preparing responses/mark-ups to Client Terms and communicating the firm's position to clients both internally (to relevant partners) and to external clients, including negotiating amendments.
- Dealing with requests from clients to amend the firm's Terms of Business.
- Updating client terms and internal guidance documents to ensure adherence to those terms.
- Receiving RFPs and client risk or assurance questionnaires; advising CMD and internal clients on the most appropriate course of action.
- Undertaking initial review and delegating where appropriate to the firm's Client Questionnaire Team to coordinate and seek factual input from others within the firm.
- Assisting the Client Questionnaire Team to develop precedent responses to common questions and maintaining and updating that information.
- Assisting the Procurement Team to develop, update and implement its suite of template contracts for the supply of goods and services to the firm.
- Reviewing requests for amendments to the Procurement Team's standard contracts and draft contracts received from suppliers, typically where the Procurement Team has identified a need for legal assistance, in order to identify gaps / areas of concern / appropriate amendments.
- Preparing a risk summary to be considered before the firm enters into the contract.
- Assisting Procurement to negotiate amendments to supplier contracts.
- Contributing to the provision of training to the broader Procurement Team to increase their skill set.
- The successful candidate will ideally have a minimum of 2 years PQE as a Commercial Solicitor, either currently working in-house or wishing to move away from a Private Practice fee earning role
- You will have strong contract drafting and negotiation skills
- A good grasp of issues that come up in contract negotiations is critical
- As well as an excellent communication style, being technically succinct, and a persuasive nature is essential
- Hybrid working (50/50 in and out of the office)
- Competitive salary and benefits package
For more information on this Contracts Lawyer position in Newcastle, please contact Rozie Hunter at BCL Legal
BCL Legal is an equal opportunities employer.