27th January 2020
BCL Legal has been exclusively appointed by an innovative and dynamic business to hire a General Counsel to join the team. Based in Yorkshire, and with an innovative product range, the business operates in a key sector of the economy.
As General Counsel you would as part of the Corporate Team, under the leadership of the Chief Financial Officer, and the be principal legal counsel and adviser to the Executive Board and other senior management. You will have a proven track record of contributing towards legal strategy and objectives, having understanding of how legal issues impact organisations, as well as being well-versed in how manufacturing and construction sectors operate.
This will undoubtedly be a challenging role, but potentially very rewarding, and offers the opportunity to join an interesting organisation and help drive them forward in a key stage on their development.
The remit is broad, and as Head of Legal your responsibilities will include the following:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating various commercial and supplier contracts, as well as complex framework agreements ·
- Staying up-to-date with changes to legislation, particularly in relation to laws, rules and regulations that directly the manufacturing and construction industry and inform the Executive Team accordingly,
- Ensuring compliance with applicable laws and regulations relating to employment relationships, employee benefit programs, intellectual property rights, environmental and health & safety
- Managing external legal counsel
- Managing and mitigating legal risks by designing and implementing company policies and procedures, as well as overall responsibility for compliance, risk management and data protection requirements
- Liaise with Insurance Brokers on annual renewal process and day to day queries
- Company Secretarial duties
- Promoting legal, compliance and risk management best practice throughout the company
- Design and carry out legal training for all new employees and ad hoc training on legal updates
- Supporting the Executive Team on project work and ad-hoc requirements
- Supervision of paralegal and assist with learning and development
Ideally with a background in manufacturing, construction or property, you'll be an experienced in house lawyer with at least 6 years pqe. With strong technical commercial contracts knowledge, you will also have a proven track record of contributing towards legal strategy and objectives, having an understanding of how legal issues impact organisations, as well as being well-versed in how manufacturing and construction sectors operate.
You'll have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, a high degree of professional ethics and integrity, and be positive, self-motivated and able to work effectively without close supervision.
This General Counsel role is well remunerated and offers the chance to play a key role in a fast paced and growing business.
BCL Legal is an equal opportunities employer.