Job title: Solicitor
Company: Mercedes-Benz Financial Services UK Limited
Location: Head Office - Milton Keynes. Flexible working between home and office + flexible start/finish times.
Role: Permanent, full-time
Mercedes-Benz is part of a group of companies that sell passenger cars, commercial vehicles, parts, insurance, financial services and funding for dealers. Mercedes-Benz is part of Daimler AG, which generated €154bn in revenue in 2020 and has over 285,000 staff. It has customers ranging from private individuals and SMEs to blue-chip PLCs, from all industry sectors including retail, local authority, healthcare and education.
An opportunity has become available for a Solicitor to provide legal support to the Mercedes-Benz financial services and insurance services companies in the UK. The role, which will report into the financial services and insurance Senior Solicitor, will sit within the wider Legal Department.
Predominantly, you will draft, negotiate and conclude a range of contracts for the procurement, IT and insurance teams, frequently liaising with the business and other parties. This will include ensuring that the contract complies with internal company policies and advising the business of any risks contained within such contracts.
You will also advise on motor finance matters involving customer documentation, compliance with consumer credit legislation and the FCA handbook, selling finance online, as well as dealer funding and security documentation. You will negotiate fleet sales and other B2B finance documentation.
Providing legal support in respect of any other matters as required, and keeping abreast of regulatory (FCA) and legislative developments with a particular focus on financial services and insurance will form part of your remit. You will be involved in the preparation of legal reports to key stakeholders in both the UK and at Daimler Headquarters.
Key Skills, Knowledge & Experience
· Extensive commercial contract drafting experience is an essential requirement.
· Knowledge and experience of consumer credit is desirable and would preferably include motor finance, together with familiarity of the FCA handbook.
· Experience in dealer funding, security documentation, insurance contracts and motor finance disputes is desirable.
· Experience in data protection, competition law, M&A, assisting with company secretarial tasks and managing external law firms is desirable.
· Familiarity with an 'O Shaped Lawyer' is desirable.
· A strong academic background with first rate professional training.
· An ability to balance the company's commercial drivers against legal risk.
· Proactive approach in solving problems.
· An ability to carry out multiple tasks, prioritising work effectively.
· An ability to work well within a team, including taking on a variety of work.
· The gravitas and personality to advise stakeholders at all levels.
· Excellent communication, negotiation and people skills.
· 0-4 years' post qualification experience.
Whilst previous in-house, financial services and automotive experience is desirable, a passion to learn about financial services and insurance is crucial.
Included within the package is a competitive salary, a generous discretionary bonus, a company car (as part of a Loan Purchase Scheme), pension, as well as a flexible benefit pot that can be used to find the benefits that are right for you such as private medical insurance.
If you are interested in this opportunity please contact Tom Shaw at firstname.lastname@example.org
BCL Legal is an equal opportunities employer.