Skanska is one of the world's largest development and construction companies, operating on a truly international scale.
As Skanska UK, we have helped create iconic buildings such as The Gherkin, Heron Tower and The Scalpel, with more recent projects including HS2 and The Now Building.
Headed by the Hot 100-recognised Swati Paul, Director of Skanska UK, leading the legal and commercial functions, this long established and highly regarded Legal Team is seeking to add a Construction Disputes lawyer to the ranks. The Legal Team carries out all of the work on behalf of Skanska, ensuring a varied workload which has a real impact for the business.
You will be responsible for:
The provision of practical advice to Skanska UK Operating Units (OUs) and Enabling Functions (EFs) to help them achieve proactive management of claims (from initial identification to resolution, including via negotiation/settlement, mediation, adjudication, litigation and arbitration). This is to ensure that the businesses, people, profitability and reputation are protected and, to the extent possible, commercial relationships are preserved.
The role is primarily dealing with dispute resolution but also includes corporate governance, risk management and helping the business learn and embed lessons from any disputes.
This will involve:
· Developing relationships with Skanska UK management and the OUs and EFs so that the Legal Department are involved early and fully.
· Providing proactive day-to-day decision-led advice to the projects and teams on all aspects of dispute resolution, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with them to help manage and resolve contentious issues.
· Providing/assisting in the provision of workshops, seminars, etc with the OUs and EFs.
· Proactive and early involvement with colleagues, peers and insurers.
· Transfer of knowledge/best practice.
· Willingness to learn other areas of law including commercial and non-contentious construction law and assist the team with standard documents, training, policies and guidance
We are looking for:
· Qualified UK lawyer with 5-10 years' PQE.
· Mid-ranking/senior with good disputes experience.
· Particular experience with all form of dispute resolution (mediation, adjudication, litigation, arbitration) in relation to construction matters.
· Good drafting and communication skills with all levels of the business.
· Good understanding and experience of the forms of contracts (NEC/JCT) commonly used (where relevant) and associated statute and case law.
· Good understanding of construction techniques and processes (where relevant).
· Good understanding of commercial contracts.
· An ability to break a matter down to basics and communicate effectively with all levels of personnel.
· An ability to deliver a legal service to a business in a form they can readily understand and use.
· An ability to argue our case in formal negotiations in a logical and articulate manner.
· An understanding of the basic commercial management processes that should be employed on a project.
· An understanding of risk and risk identification and management techniques.