Articles From the Team
Should I stay or should I go? Six good reasons for moving on from your current firm.
Changing jobs – it’s not a decision to be taken lightly. It’s usually something that takes a considerable amount of thought; some self reflection and a reasonable amount of time before we decide to pursue this path. Let’s face facts – we spend a lot of our time at work and for those in the legal profession this is likely to be more than most.
When it comes to this subject we would advise you to never make a rash decision. If the reason that you’ve decided to get in touch with us is that you’ve had a bad day (or even a bad week) at work, it’s probably not the right time to be seriously considering a move. As recruitment consultants we take great pride in knowing that we’re finding you a role that’s a better fit than your current one for whatever reason this may be, however we can’t do this unless you’ve really thought about exactly what your motivations are for wanting to move on.
If your move is purely financially motivated it’s best to re-think things before getting in touch with us. In this market 90% of the people we work with get counter offered from their current firm on announcing their intentions to leave. If you’re looking for a well deserved pay rise then it’s best to have an open an honest chat with your line manager before contacting a recruitment agency. It saves you going through a lengthy process with us only to achieve the same outcome. Not to mention this professional approach also ensures that no bridges are burned with prospective future employers along the way.
However, if you’re looking to move on for any of the following reasons we can certainly help:
- You’re not challenged in your current role – again have a chat with your line manager about how you feel, however if there is no solution then perhaps a move is the right option for you.
- Feeling undervalued and overworked – this is incredibly demotivating and can take its toll in many respects over time. Your health shouldn’t suffer due to your job. If you’ve been feeling like this for a while then it’s time to explore your options.
- Your firm’s culture – if what once inspired you no longer fits with your set of values and it doesn’t serve to drive your performance, then it’s time look for other opportunities.
- Limited progression – maybe your current team is too ‘top heavy’ and there’s no room to move up the ranks due to this. If you see no way of progressing with your current firm, then we can talk you through options that will allow you to take a step up and get on the partnership track.
- Location location location – our daily commute, it makes a big difference to how we feel about our working day. Maybe you’ve grown tired of that 50 minute drive in nightmarish traffic each way every day. If you’re looking for options closer to home then we can help you find you something that’s closer to you doorstep.
- Work-life balance - maybe you’re looking for some flexibility with your working pattern or looking to work 4 days a week and your firm simply isn’t able to accommodate your request. If so we can explore the market and have a chat to firms that we know are able to offer this to you.
For more information please contact Joanna Leaver at BCL Legal.