Articles From the Team
How do you know when it’s the right time to move?
Over the last 20 years the number of job moves people make (in the first five years after graduating) has nearly doubled! You’d expect an increase but this is a lot!
There’s nothing wrong with moving jobs – it’s something that employers are starting to acknowledge and understand more.
However, it’s essential you move for the right reason(s); after you’ve given thorough thought to your motives and how the move will tie in with you future career goals.
Here are some questions to ask yourself before you start your search
- Why am I unhappy in my current role?
- What is it I seek from another position? More money? More flexibility? Better work-life balance?Better training and progression? Better location? Better working environment/culture of the firm?
- Who have I spoken to? Have you had a discussion with your manager as to why you’re unhappy in your role to see if they can help improve your current situation?
- How will moving jobs help me get closer to my dream job or reach my career goals?
It’s essential you take the time to consider all of the above before your start your job search. Changing your mind and ‘toing and froing’ with agencies and clients won’t do much for building a good reputation. Fully consider your options and really ask yourself: are you committed? If you get offered a role that you apply for and it’s a good offer, will you accept it?
If you answer yes to these questions, here’s how to start your search…
- CV – start with your CV. Get it up-to-date and make sure you sell yourself – ‘big’ yourself up! But most importantly make it easy to read and make sure your formatting, grammar and spelling are all perfect!
- Engage with one recruiter – don’t apply to everything that’s out there! Work closely with one specialist legal recruiter in your field who will suggest the right firms and roles that match – as closely as possible – what you’re looking for.
- Do your research – make sure you know which firms you’re applying for; what the role is; about the firm; why you want to work for them; and, why you’re suited to the position! Take responsibility for your own job search!
- Clean up your social media/websites – check all of your public social media and make sure there’s nothing to put off an employer. Make sure your LinkedIn and your current firm websites are up-to-date and the information matches your CV – potential employers will check it!
Moving jobs isn’t something you should do on a whim. It involves a lot of effort and commitment; not only from you but also from your recruiter, the partners/managers interviewing you and the HR representatives that coordinate everything!
Are you really ready to move?
If after reading this article your answer is still yes, get in touch with one of our consultants to kick start your job search!
“Don’t pick a job with great holiday time. Pick a career that doesn’t need escaping from.”