Articles From the Team
BTSS events: the upcoming Secret Garden Party, and the stand out benefits from getting involved with industry networking groups
The Birmingham Trainee Solicitors' Society (or BTSS as it's more commonly known) is made up of over 300 newly qualified solicitors, trainee solicitors, paralegals and post-graduate law students across Birmingham and the wider West Midlands.
As a junior lawyer, there’s no better forum to get to know your peer group and socialise with other young lawyers in Birmingham.
Whether you’re training at a leading international firm or a small high street practice in the Midlands, the BTSS offers a friendly and inclusive environment for all.
With a busy schedule (and social life), it’s easy to overlook the benefits of getting involved with networking groups, but from a recruitment perspective, the list is endless. Here are my top 5:
- Developing your network: making real friends and useful connections for the future. At some point, the connections open doors to new opportunities that’ll ultimately advance your career. Investing in these relationships from the outset of your career (rather than times of crisis) will pay dividends.
- Raising your own personal profile and increasing your market knowledge. It's always good to know ‘who's who in the zoo’ and for them to know you! Your firm will also take note of your networking activities so you become more visible both internally and externally.
- Increasing your confidence and self-esteem. By starting your networking activities with your own peers it helps to create the building blocks that give you the confidence to network with other professional groups as your career advances. Networking doesn’t come naturally to everyone, but it's a skill that’s developed through practice. For those who are shy or naturally introverted, pushing your boundaries now will have a huge impact on the future, including business development ability; essential in the long term, especially if you aspire to partnership.
- It's an opportunity to get to know and build a relationship with a legal recruiter. In the case of next week’s Garden Summer Party, which we’re proud to sponsor and be involved in, there’ll be a few of us there on the night, so please come and say hello. Most of us are ex-lawyers so we speak and understand from experience. On top of this, we have inside market knowledge, including trends so we’re well placed to advise you on what you should do now in order to guarantee a successful career as a lawyer.
- Lastly, free food and drinks (and lots of fun!)… need I say more!
The hugely anticipated Secret Garden Party at Fazeley Studios in Digbeth takes place on Friday 3rd August from 7 pm. For those of you who don’t know, Fazeley Studios is a restored 1870's former Unitarian Church and a stunningly quirky venue!
The event is a fantastic opportunity to network and make new friends with other trainee solicitors, paralegals and junior lawyers. There’s a barbecue, drinks, music and an array of summer games: croquet, horseshoe throwing and bowls to name a few! With a mini-festival feel, what could be better in this glorious weather?
We hope to see many of you there! If you haven’t booked your ticket yet, buy here now: www.thebtss.co.uk