Articles From the Team
How do you know if it's the right time to move jobs?
When’s the right time if you don’t have any time in the first place?
You want a new job but you’re mega busy! There’s the day-to-day grind where you barely find a minute to yourself. Then there’s the kids and family; you need to sort out a routine for school holiday cover. Maybe you’ll wait until you get back from your summer holiday, in fact, maybe you’ll wait until Christmas is out of the way. When’s it ever a good time to really focus on YOU?
The answer is now.
Procrastinating is one of the worst things you can do. Waiting for milestones will mean there’s always something else. It will never be the right time and before you know it, months have passed by. Does this sound like your 2018?
It’s time to take the bull by the horns and make the first move NOW!
If you’re experiencing any of these signs then you’re ready:
- You’re no longer challenged in your role. Prolonged feelings of boredom or repetitiveness with little reward are making you feel disheartened and ineffective. You’re frustrated that you’re not getting the quality of legal work to allow you to fully utilise your skills.
- Your firm isn’t aligned with your personal goals and values. Is it offering enough upward mobility, are you able to realise your ambitions? Maybe you’re working longer hours than you’d like and your family life is suffering.
- You’re feeling exhausted when you get home in the evening. A lack of enthusiasm is draining and will evidently affect your performance.
- The culture isn’t right. Your Head of Department expects more from you than you’re able to give and you’re constantly worrying about what you say and do. There isn’t a single element of fun and the days seem endless.
- Your firm isn’t invested in you. You’re underpaid for your level of PQE and the volume of work you’re getting through.
- Instability is a major worry. Work-flows are slowing down, perhaps there are discussions involving down-sizing, mergers or acquisitions and unsettlement is rife.
- Can you really see yourself in the same firm in 12 months time? Look forward 12 months from now and picture whether your ambitions are likely to be realised or your concerns likely to be addressed.
- You get Sunday night jitters. Your weekend ends Sunday afternoon and you spend the rest of the evening worrying about Monday morning.
The good news is, the grass is greener. Yes, you’ll need to devote a certain amount of time to look for a new job but the rewards will be huge.
At BCL we endeavour to make this process as time-effective as possible. We have fantastic opportunities with a range of firms to suit any lawyer. You just need to take a chance and go for it!